Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Show and Tell Tuesdays: Kid's Parties




It's Show and Tell Tuesday: Kid's Parties!


Well, I’ve only ever thrown one kid’s party, and that was Bo’s 1st birthday. Truthfully, I didn’t expect it to be as fun, or as stressful as it was. Being it was his 1st birthday, I wanted everything to be just right and him to be happy and everyone to have a great time, and admittedly, I was more worried about all of that instead of just enjoying the party myself.

Bo was born in the middle of August. And also in the south. Needless to say, you can pretty much melt walking to your car during that time of year, so I knew I wanted a pool party. I went back and forth for a while on a theme. First, I wanted an ‘Under the Sea,’ then, a ‘Rubber Ducky,’ then I thought about a ‘Pond,’ party. It came down to Under the Sea and Rubber Ducky, and in the end, Under the Sea won. (I’m planning a 3 year old Pond party at the moment.)
I pretty much based my final decision based on cake and invitation pictures on Pinterest.


These were his invitations. (Ordered here on Etsy.) I based all colors/decor at the party from the invites.


And this was his cake. I used this picture and sent it to a local bakery. I only did a smash cake, so it was small, and then I ordered 2 dozen cupcakes with matching blue icing.




Bo HATED the cake. I don’t know if he didn’t like the way the icing felt or what, but I’m not sure he even got a good taste.


No worries though, because his best friends Ella and Steven were there to help him out. They had recently turned one, so they knew exactly what to do. ;)


Something I really wanted was a cute backdrop to put his high chair in front of because: PICTURES. I don’t have a full picture of the backdrop, but it’s the blue behind him. (These are the instructions for the back drop; I tied different colored blue table cloths to the top.)




Unfortunately, I don’t have any pictures of the food or decorations. Just kiddos. But, I do have some advice. Keep the food relatively simple; just have a lot of it.

I had these things for kids:

Cheetos

Capri Suns

Cupcakes

Smucker’s PB&J sandwiches

Brownies

I had this for adults:

Chicken Tenders

Chips

Dips: Black Eye Pea Dip & Spicy Chicken Dip

Waters/Cokes/Sprites


The food was all on one table, but I picked the things on the menu for kids & for adults. If a kid wanted some chicken tenders, he could have at it, I just wanted there to be some variety and something I was sure most kids liked.

The decorations were simple. I had a Happy Birthday Banner on the gate coming in, a few lanterns hung in the trees, and matching blue table cloths on the tables. And lots of balloons.

*I got to go last in the line-up of throwing the first birthday party, because Bo was born after Steven and Ella. One thing both mom’s told me: have easy food. You don’t want to be caught up the whole party worrying about grilling or everybody having enough. And I didn’t.


Also, I didn't have to worry about much entertainment for the kiddos, because: POOL PARTY. (I want to have all my babies in summer/warm weather so I can always have this option. Because it is easy.) I did have a quilt down in the shade with little toys and things for the babies, as well as an inflatable baby pool.


Another thing, I planned Bo’s party for a time that I knew he should be pretty happy based on his nap schedule and also for the heat. I knew I did not want to have a party with the sun blazing. So, I watched what time the sun was setting over the pool and how much shade there was and went from there. And although it was the middle of August in South Georgia, it wasn’t bad at all.

If you’re planning a Kid’s party anytime soon, my advice is this: KEEP IT MOVING. As soon as my guests started arriving, I told them to go ahead and fix their plates. Nobody wants to be the first one in line, but seeing everyone with a plate or fixing their plate when they walked in, helped to encourage that. Then, once everyone got there and had enjoyed some food, we opened presents. I saved the cake for last, because I expected Bo to be dirty, but as you can see, he was not. ;) Then, everything that ‘had to be done,’ was done and everyone could enjoy each other’s company and leave at their leisure.

This post is part of a link up done with Andrea!



2 comments:

  1. 2 out of my 3 kids have summer birthdays....it makes throwing parties so easy because of the pool!
    Great job on the party :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I plan on incorporating a pool into the party as long as he will let me!

    ReplyDelete