Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Faith > Fear



In lieu of the passing of their dear friend Manda Maxwell, Shay and Erika cancelled the Workin’ It Wednesday link up scheduled for today. I was kind of at a loss at what I would blog about today instead and then I thought about what had been on my mind most, and that was Manda. Now, I in no way pretend that I knew Manda or feel the grief that her friends and family are dealing with. But, her story has really resonated with me. I followed Manda’s story as I’m sure many of you did, by reading many of her closest friend’s blogs. And Monday, after I read post after post of what kind of person, friend, mama she was, I was deeply saddened, but also amazed. If you haven’t done so, I encourage you to head over to That Inspired Chick’s post about Manda and listen to Manda’s testimony. I was completely blown away.  And I’ll admit, I had to listen to it in portions because while it is very uplifting, it is also heart wrenching.  Here is this beautiful, young, wonderful woman who was handed some of the sourest apples life has to offer, and she persevered through it, and chose her faith, her GOD, above it. I was humbled.
You see, I am the very worst worrier. I have been convicted lately of living in fear, doubt, worry, about EVERYTHING. Jobs, money, Bo, health issues, things that haven’t happened but could, things totally out of my control. You name it, I’ve worried about it. And then I listened to Manda’s testimony.  While, yes, I’m certain she had fear, doubt, worry and every kind of emotion one can imagine having when facing cancer not once, not twice, but three times, she clung to the hope of Jesus. One of the things that was said in the video of her testimony, I’m not sure if Manda or her mom said it, but one said, “God doesn’t promise to give us exactly what we ask for. He promises us that we will never be alone.” Be strong and courageous do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the one who goes with you. He will not fail you or forsake you.--Deuteronomy 31:6
Bad things are going to happen; we live on Earth, not in Heaven, yet.  God never says life will be easy. In fact, He more or less promises that we will be faced with many trials and tribulations when we follow Him. For you have been called for this purpose, since Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example for you to follow in His steps.--1 Peter 2:21  But we will not be alone. We will not be forsaken. He promises peace, but not understanding.  Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.-- Proverbs 3:5 
I’ve been having trouble here. I haven’t been trusting as I should and instead I’ve been trying to understand the why’s and how’s in areas that aren’t really meant for me to understand, but instead to TRUST. When I think about different circumstances in my life, (none even compare to those that Manda faced), I can see God teaching me to loosen up, to surrender, to lean on HIM not my human mind. Though this is something I feel very much like I’m taking baby steps in, I am moving forward. I will not let Satan continue to cripple me with fear, doubt, and worry. The battle is already won for me, I just have to embrace it. These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage, I have overcome the world.--John 16:33
Faith over Fear seems to be Manda’s motto. I pray it to be mine as well.
Again, I in no way pretend that I knew Manda Maxwell or have been deeply affected by her death. However, I can say that I am forever touched by her life.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the link to my blog post! I am so thrilled that Manda's story is getting out there! She was on fire for Jesus and more than anything, wanted her testimony heard so she could reach as many people for Him as she could. I am also a big worrier and Manda's story has reinvigorated my faith so much. At the funeral, one of our pastors talked about Manda's last moments and he said that when she finally took her last breath, she had a smile on her face, like she had just seen the face of Jesus. I hold on to that because I have no doubt that's what happened. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her testimony is AMAZING and thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete