Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Teacher Stories


 
I decided to share this little story today because it's just too sweet not to. So, here's to the 1st "Teacher Story," of (hopefully) many more to come!

#1

Every Friday, I give out prizes to each student who has 'signed in' every day that week. When my students arrive the first thing they are to do, after giving love to whoever brings them, is wash their hands and sign their name in the 'sign in' book. (Each student has a page labeled with his/her name.) I teach Pre-K, so we need all the name recognizing and writing practice we can get!
I have fraternal boy/girl twins in my class this year, and it has been so interesting to watch them learn and grow differently, but together, as well. I won't name them for sake of privacy, so I'll just refer to them as Boy and Girl.
The first few weeks of school, Girl took care of Boy. Mom was super surprised by this because she said Boy was the more dominant twin of the two and was usually taking care of Girl. However, school threw Boy a curve ball! I sat them close to each other at the table and I say Girl in front of Boy on the rug. Often, I would see Girl reach her hand around and hold Boy's hand when he would get upset. She still managed to pay attention, however! As the weeks wore on, I began to see them make different friends and play separately more and more often. I was glad to see it!
Anyways, this past Friday during prize time, Boy earned his prize, but Girl, however, did not. She hadn't signed in all of her days. :( Well, as soon as I handed Boy his prize, he took it, looked at me, and said, "Mrs. Bailey is it okay if I give my prize to Girl? Because I want her to have it more than me." I think my heart about exploded with butterflies, rainbow, and all things happy and lovey. SO SWEET! And what a pure heart Boy has. Of course I told him that was absolutely fine, and then I gave him another prize because, HAPPINESS!?!?
Once I had time to put my heart back in my chest all I could think of was this:
Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit; but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus.--Phillipians 2:3-5
This precious 4 year old boy selflessly gave away something very beloved (a gummy bear is something dearly treasured in the eyes of 4 & 5 year olds) without blinking an eye. I pray I go through each day seeing through the eyes of a child, for they see so much better than mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment